Stress is a fact of life , but it need not be a way of life. Stress can affect anyone , anytime … including you ! Managing stress effectively is a constant nee. What is stress ?
Stress, simply put ,is the way you react both physically and emotionally to change.There are as many different ideas about stress as there are people who experience change in thei life.
And , like change , stress can either be positive or negative. It may be sense of hieghted concentration you feel when faced with a new and challenging situation or it may be continual sense of being geared up and unable to relax.Stress can refer to physical efforts as well as mental tension.
All individuals feel stress,but each one feels it in different amounts and reacts in different ways.
What causes stress and how does it affect a person ?
Stress situations are a constant feature in today’s life,whether traffic jams,dead -lines at work or
coping with family demands.This lifestyle makes us physically,emotionally and mentally stressed.In the short term ,stress causes disruptions like study difficulty,disturbed concentration at work,headaches,etc.In the long term,stress can causes significant health problems like ulcers,depression,etc.Overcoming stress successfully in daily life plays a key role not only in our surrvival,but also in leading a successful life.
What does stress do to a person and what are the symptoms of stress ?
Stress is an unseen aliment which disturbs the equilibrium.Stress can no longer be taken lightly as it has become an established medical problem affecting both body and mind.
Our personality , behaviour and lifestyle influence our stress levels.Constant excessive demands in life , lead to an inability to cope with stress,which result in physical exhaustion,fatigue,poor concentration,imparied attention and stress-related illnesses like high blood pressure,heart attack ,
insomnia,hair loss,skin rashes,bowel disturbances etc.
Stress also disturbs the mental state of person leading to anger,boredom and frustration.
Stress becomes harmful to our body when we cannot control our responses or cope with it effectively.
Tips to help you cope with stress.
Basically, we need to modify our reaction or response to various situations.The tips bellow may help you to manage stress effectively. Try Them!!
* Learn to Relax :~ Learn how relax yourself and your body through deep breathing excercise and muscle tension reduction excercise.Throughout the day take “minibreaks” Sit down and get comfortable,slowly take a deep breath in,hold it and then exhale very slowly.
* Practice Acceptance:~ Many people get distressed over things they can’t accept.Often these are things that can’t be changed,like someone else’s feelings or beliefs.Let go and accept others,chance are that your stress level will decrease.
* Talk Rationlly to yourself :~ Ask yourself what real impact the stressful situation will have on you in a day, a week , a month, and see if you can minimise the negative thoughts. Think whether the situation is of your making or someone else’s making, let go , as there is not much you can do about it.
* Get Organised :~ Develop a realistic schedule of daily activities that includes tome for work,sleep , relationships, and recreation.Use a daily “things to do” list.Improve our physical surroundings by cleaning your house and oraganising your office work.Use your time and energy as efficiently as possible.
* Exercise :~ Try to keep physically healthy by involving yourself in some sort of physical activity . Physical activity has always provided relief from stress.Develop a regular exercise program to help reduce the effects of stress before it becomes distress. Try aerobics,walking, yoga,jogging,dancing,swimming, etc.
* Reduce Time Urgency :~ If you frequently check your watch or worry about what you do with your time , learn to take things a bit slower.Allow plenty of time to get things done. Plan your schedule ahead of time.
* Do not be overly competitive :~ Every situation in life does not require you to win or lose.Adjust your approach to an event according to its demands.
* Quiet Time :~ Balance your family , social , and work demands with private time. Make time for fun acitvites, it is just important as study or work. Get involved in activity such as sports,art crafts, hobbies or anything that you find relaxing. Hobbies are good antidotes for daily pressures.Unwind by taking a quiet stroll , having a warm oil message and shower , watching the sunset , or listening to some soothing music.
* Watch your habits and eat sensibly :~ Try to eat well balanced meals and dont skip any meal.A balaced meals and dont skip any meal.A balanced meal will provide all the necessary energy you will need during the day. Avoid non-prescription drugs and minimise alcohol use – you need to be mentally and physically alert to deal with stress. Try to stop cigaretts smoking.
* Try Meditation :~ Try meditation by concentrating on a movement , a sound , an image , or a thought. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Before you know it , you will be meditating.
* Talk to friends :~ Talk about your stress to friends or family members who are supportive. Friends can be good medicine. Daily does of conversation, regular social enagagements , and occasional sharing of deep feelings and thoughts can reduce stress quite nicely.
* Develop a positive attitude :~ One of the best ways to manage stress is to develop a posivtive attitude.Looking on the brighter side of life will give you the mental strength and determination to take stress as part of life and manage if effectively . Maintain a daily dairy that helps you affirm the positive things in your life. Do it everyday.
* Smile , it costs nothing :~ One of the best ways to cope with stress is to smile.A smile relaxes all the major facial muscules.It sets off an emotional chain reaction that makes you feel good. Have a good laugh as often as possible.
What are the advantages of managing stress ?
You enjoy life more fully when you manage stress.You will look better , feel happier , stay active and independent and stay more relaxed around other people. And you will be the captain of your own ship , in control of your life and the path you want to take.
Now that you are well informed on stress and how it can be overcome , please realize that stress is a medical concern.But the great news is that it can be managed effectively.
There is a widely used , trusted herbal medicine for stress.
———————————————————– ——– —————————————-
The information provided here is offered as a service and is not meant to replace any medical treatment. Use this information at your own risk. We caution users not to seek the therapies described here without consulting a registered medical practitioner.